Sunday, September 20, 2009

Children's Play

There is nothing like a sunny morning on Bergen Street in Brooklyn, under the spell of a crisp September breeze, to bring back childhood memories. And there is nothing that brings back childhood memories like hot dogs. So it was fateful that the two intersected for us on this fine day.

Ultimately, as childhood evolves into adulthood, so do our hot dogs - and our hot dog joints. Bark Hot Dogs was nothing like the Gray's Papaya or the famous street vendors of our past.

It was an impeccable shop, with a comfortable and non-threatening commercial quality. Felt clean and organized, and the staff was charming. A hot dog with a smile.

Did we mention, the dogs were amazing! Fresh beef and pork. Crisped to perfection. As you can see, we got the Bark dog and the Kraut dog. The White Birch Beer (among an assortment of Foxon Park varieties) was a nice touch. The bun had a flawless bounce. But, at $18 for 3 dogs & a drink, those delectable bites came at a premium.

For me, it reminded me of all those moments I would hang out at the hot dog stand outside of my dad's office, gobbling meat as fast I could, knowing I'd never get any at home..

And at Bark, for a brief moment, we were home...

5 comments:

  1. sounds so yummy! I love a good dog! Reminds me of the great ones I got as a kid on the boardwalk at Pt.Pleasant's Jenkinson's. Only, there, at that time, they cost $.25!!!!! (dating myself). these look really tasty!
    good luck with your blog; nice concept!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS Love the banner and the writing is top-notch too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, since I wasn't around when I was a kid, I guess I don't have any comparison. I like Pat's :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are pricy dogs! I'd love to try that white birch beer - sounds delish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh, we've passed this place so many times and never gone in. Will definitely be checking it out now! Thanks, guys! Love the Brooklyn recs!

    ReplyDelete