Sunday, November 29, 2009

Cha-ahhhh...



In my family drinking tea is a household ritual. After school my sister and I used to curl up on the couch and engage in typical teenage gossip while recounting our daily dramas. In the evenings my mom made tea to gather the family from our respective corners of the house. Having lived away from my family home for 11 years now and lived with countless roommates, I've always sought to continue this ritual wherever I am (possibly force-feeding tea to a roommate or two).

But alas, I have found a family that also honors this tea-drinking tradition. Visiting Ronak's family for the first time, riddled with nerves, I was greeted with kindness and a cup of steaming hot chai. While ordinary to them, chai is a novelty tea in my home, where Lipton is the norm. The experience inspired me to recreate the chai using Ronak's family recipe, one that is simpler than I would have expected: a blend of loose black tea, water, milk, grated ginger, fresh mint and sugar. A simple formula that stirs up a nostalgic sense of home.

3 comments:

  1. I want some! I love chai tea so I'm sure this one would make my palet very happy...and my chest too with some warmth during this cool weather!
    So I expect you to make me some next time I see you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your story is wonderful. I love drinking tea also. We drink tea a lot in my family. I make chai myself with lots of different kinds of spices. It make me feel good to drink hot sweet chai when it is cold. I think it is an awesome ritual to have tea with your family and lived ones over some coverstaion :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am looking forward to trying some of your chai tea. You make it sound so delicious.

    ReplyDelete