Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Savoring the Salt

























































































































For our 1 year anniversary I signed Ron and myself up for a cooking class at the Institute of Culinary Education. We took the Savor the Salt class which focuses on dishes that use salt in a variety of cooking techniques. Chef Renée Marton explained to us the history of salt and brought in salts from various regions for us to taste. The truffle-infused salt was by far our favorite. Eleven of us were divided into teams and had the opportunity to cook Moroccan Chicken with Preserved Lemons, Spiced-Salt Rubbed Rib Eye Steak, Whole Red Snapper Baked in a Salt Crust and the reason I chose this class... Caramel Ice Cream topped with flaky pink Australian sea salt in homemade tuiles. Ron was especially hands on in making the ice cream. Hmm, I wonder why?

1 comment:

  1. That looks like such a fun thing to do! I think I would have loved the ice-cream as well!
    Did chef Marton ever mention the "Sel de Sylvie"? ;-)

    ReplyDelete