Monday, June 6, 2011

Sweet (& Salty) Tooth

Both of us love caramel with its perfect balance of salty and sweet. I never thought of making it myself until I came across a recipe for confiture caramel beurre salé and decided to give it a whirl. It calls for only 5 basic ingredients: Sugar, water, butter, salt and cream.

I should mention that patience is also a necessary ingredient. My first batch of sugar crystallized into a hot gooey mess and it was then that I realized that the recipe wasn't as straightforward as I thought. I took a deep breath, studied a few tutorials on YouTube, and was able to successfully caramelize the sugar on the second attempt. It was easy from there on out and fun to watch the molten liquid become actual caramel-- and more importantly taste like actual caramel.

6 comments:

  1. Yum yum! That looks REAL good! I got from a friend a recipe for Salidoux that I should try...but I guess it's the same stuff! I hope we can taste it sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, just checked and it's the same stuff except that he uses salted butter directly and so he doesn't add salt. I'll have to try both method and see which one has my vote :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, but needless to say that, first of all, your packaging is a thousand time better than his...but that's just common sens when you know how creative and talented you are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Fab! I'm sure you'll get it right on the first try since you have so much experience caramelizing sugar. We have to eat ours up, it only lasts for 3 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you use just regular heavy cream?
    MMmmmm I want to eat crepes now!

    ReplyDelete