Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Garden State, indeed.













































































































Ron's first trip to "Meet the Parents" for the second time. Excited to see Sara's homeland and even more so to hang with Fabien and Rachel.

We drove by several of Sara's fondest food memories... from Hunan Wok to The Oldwick General Store... funny memories of baby sitting and chilling emerged... with the back drops of green lands, watching the movement of the stick shift, the hands of time seemed to have floated backwards...

My last memory of picking anything was apples, and I must have been 13 years old. It was a class trip, and it felt warm and unbelievable.

The peach orchard at Melick's Farm in Califon was well organized and easy to navigate. The wooden baskets gave us the a u ra of nostalgia, and the rows of peaches were plentiful. And I quickly realized, I like my peaches like I like my woman - good color, firm minded, soft spoken, but delicate... like Sara :)

We collected our peaches, bagged them and got going! Greeting us at home was a game of corn hole, complete with a shiny new scoring kit... I got whooped by Mr. Mills and Fabien (i'll be back...), but so did Sara.

The night ended with a dinner prepared by Mrs. Mills... As the glass with the American flag was filled with Indian beer, and as the crisp corn on the cob was served with a delicious steak, the funny conversations and sharing of stories felt like New Jersey in its truest spirit, born again in us... word born, NJ!

3 comments:

  1. Nice writings! I like to read you guys...but didn't know your blog was in action already! I did look before but couldn't find it...I guess that's because I didn't put the "8" at the end! Tricky :o) Love the blog though and I'll keep reading the other post until I'm up to date :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ron, that part about sara...that was an 'awwww shucks' moment. You certainly have the gift for writing. You all do, actually: Michelle, Fab, you, and Jason is a hoot, but he doesn't blog. Maybe he should! Anyway, love reading about your impressions of our really lovely state and my family.

    Arlette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a fun day! I think you'll get your shot at revenge this Saturday, Ron. :)

    ReplyDelete