Sunday, July 10, 2011

Patio Pickles





























































I chose to grow kirby cucumbers this year for one specific reason: Pickles! I love pickles and anything soaked in vinegar. Our four plants have already produced about a dozen cucumbers. The best thing about watching them grow is that they already look like pickles while still on the vine.

I made three different pickle recipes, each very different from the other: Quick pickles, Refrigerator Pickles and Half-Sours.

I'm most proud of the half sours because they taste like "real" deli pickles and involved a 2-day fermentation method, which sounds way more complicated than it is.

3 comments:

  1. ta-da! Wow it's so cool! I hope you kept one or two to make some nice fresh cucumber salad with some mint and creme-fraiche sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did! and the cucumbers keep on growing :) I made a radish-cucumber salad with dill and feta, but now I want to try your recipe.

    ReplyDelete